4 cups milk (your choice whole-skim)
1/2 cup powdered dry milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4-6 tablespoons sugar (or honey)
1/2 cup yogurt starter (unflavored plain yogurt with active cultures)
- Set 1/2 yogurt starter out to warm to room temperature.
- Heat the milk to almost a boil. (I microwaved it in a glass bowl for 5 minutes on high then 2 minutes on medium). Cool the milk to barely warm.
- Add dry milk, vanilla and sweetener of your choice; stir well.
- Stir in yogurt starter (do not whip but mix very well!).
- "Cook" the yogurt using your preferred method and time. Longer makes a firmer, more tart yogurt. I cooked mine for 12 hours. Chill 4 hours before eating.